We share three amazing stories uncovered while digitising our collection of over 3.3 million historic images
Through Courtauld Connects we will ensure that our extensive photographic collections are available to everyone, via the development of an ambitious digitisation project encompassing 3.3 million prints and negatives. The Witt and Conway Libraries form the basis of the collection, the former of which serves as an essential resource for anyone looking for an in-depth history of western art, from 1200 to the present day. It features original photographs, cuttings and published material on 70,000 artists, as well as the De Laszlo Collection of Paul Laib negatives, which documents paintings and sculpture by artists working in London between 1900 and 1950.
The Conway was formed by Lord Conway of Allington as a teaching and research resource and was given to The Courtauld in 1932. Since then it has grown to encompass over a million images of architecture, ivories, seals, metalwork, manuscript illumination, stained glass, wall paintings, panel paintings and textiles.
The digitisation project is made possible through our dedicated team of staff and volunteers, who have shared some of the incredible discoveries they have made during the process: